Friday, 1 April 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL (Villanelle)  Wendy Webb


The world blooms less, my friend, when you are gone:
cold breath an icy morning in damp shade,
for in full warmth I bask where fair love shone.

Your absence as the wind, a screaming wrong
that leaves storm vegetation’s trail unmade.
The world blooms less, my friend, when you are gone.

I rest upon late evening sun, so strong
and certain that each dawn is newly laid,
for in full warmth I bask where fair love shone.

As greening spring, I grieve you, spent and prone,
plant autumn bulbs: dream-pots will not degrade;
the world blooms less, my friend, when you are gone.

Weak winter growth shoots hope, though quite alone,
while quiet seasons wait and roots unbraid,
for in full warmth I bask where fair love shone.

None dig on frosty mornings, bend for one
faint snowdrop, where love’s riot will not fade.
The world blooms less, my friend, when you are gone,
for in full warmth I bask where fair love shone.

No comments: